YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

February 2013 Birchbox Review

My Birchbox was later than usual this month and I was beginning to wonder if it was even coming! Usually I get my Birchbox on or around the same day as my Glam Bag, but it's been over a week in between this time. I've not been very pleased with my Birchboxes lately and I've been contemplating discontinuing them, but I was pleasantly surprised with this month's box. It had CHOCOLATE in it, so of course, I was excited!



I was excited to get some different types of products in my box this month, like the candle. I've been wanting to try these candles for awhile, but without knowing much about them, I didn't want to spend a lot of money and hate it. So, I'll start my review with that.

Votivo Pink Mimosa Candle 


I was a little disappointed in the candle size. It is pretty much a tea light candle. I was also disappointed that the lid was off in the box, and that the wax has 2 fingernail marks in it. I know it will just melt away, but still... It didn't present as pretty as it could have without the fingernail marks. The scent is surprisingly strong (in a good way) given the size of the candle sample. Pink Mimosa is a fresh, fruity scent. I really like the scent, but I doubt I'll be purchasing this candle, and I'm a Yankee Candle junkie, with the occasional Tyler Candle thrown in for good measure. You can browse the different scents on the Votivo website, or here on the Birchbox website. These sell for $26. I think I've seen them sold at Indigo before. The Votivo website shows bath products, diffusers, lotions, incense, etc. Check them out!

Twistband Thick Head Band


I have lots of Emi-Jay headbands and hair ties, and overall I love them. These Twistbands are pretty much the exact same thing as the Emi-Jays. They are great because they don't damage your hair. I received a hair tie awhile back in a neon orange color and I like it. I like everything about this headband except the olive color. I don't have much of anything that it will go with, so I'll probably use it at night when going to bed, around the house, or while working out. They keep your hair back surprisingly well, and I have tons of them and plan on purchasing more! The Twistband hair ties are $6 for a pack of 3 without any bling (the bling ones are more expensive). The Twistband head bands range from $10-$12 for a set of 3 depending on the pattern. You can also buy a set of 6 for $20. You can browse Birchbox's Twistbands here. Emi-Jay's prices are pretty comparable to Twistbands.

Vasanti Brighten Up! Enzymatic Face Rejuvenator


I'm not familiar with this product or brand. It states online that it mimics professional dermabrasion treatments without the redness and irritation. This product scares me a little, and I doubt I even try it out. The term "brightening" and "whitening" have become someone interchangeable as of late, especially with products from other countries. If you aren't familiar with the term "whitening," it is just what it sounds like. It whitens your skin. My son's grandmother is Thai and she uses skin whiteners all the time, and that's how I became familiar with whiteners. They are very popular in Asia. I read a review on a BB Cream that was actually a skin whitener, but wasn't advertised as a skin whitener. That scares the crap out of me. I don't want any bleaching agents anywhere close to my face or other body parts, so out of fear, this is going in the trash. You can learn more about this product here at Birchbox or here on the product's home page. It retails for $34.

Juicy Couture "Couture La La" Perfume


I feel like I've gotten this before....probably from Sephora.  I hate hate HATE perfume samples. I have enough samples to create an entire bottle of perfume. I actually like this sample though. It is light, fresh, and airy. I love my fragrances light and airy, and this fits the bill. I won't purchase it, because I'm a SLAVE to Stella by Stella McCartney, which I ironically received as a free perfume sample. You can buy Couture La La on the Juicy website here or from Sephora here. The prices are as follows: $19 for the 0.25 oz rollerball, $70 for the 1.7 Eau de Parfum spray, and $90 for the 3.4 oz Eau de Parfum spray.

Dermablend Professional Quick-Fix Concealer


This was my deluxe sample from this box, and I'm thrilled. I've heard great things about Dermablend products, so I'm anxious to use this. The color is great and matches my skintone well, and the texture is amazing. It's in a lipstick-esque tube, which I find incredible. I hate using fingers for products because it gets under my nails or I end up not washing it all off and it gets on my clothes. I still have to blend it in some with a sponge, but I don't mind. It comes in 8 shades, so you should easily be able to find your perfect match. It is pretty thick and gives you a lot of coverage. Dermablend concealers have been used to cover scars and tattoos on celebrities, so you know it's got to be good. You can find this product here at Ulta and here on the Dermablend website for $24. I love this. I will be purchasing it. I've been using Benefit's Erase Paste because EVERYONE says it's amazing. I don't agree. It think it's too orange and cakey. This Dermablend product is fantastic!!!

Ghirardelli Milk and Caramel Square


This product isn't anything new...but I LOVE them, so I was so excited to get this!!! I love Ghirardelli chocolates, and the caramel squares are my favorite!!! You can buy these at any drugstore, Walmart, or Target.

So, what was YOUR Birchbox like? What products did YOU get? Which products did YOU love and hate? Remember, everyone gets the same Ipsy Glam Bag, but Birchbox gives a variation of about 15 different ones to their customers. Try them out! If you want an invitation to any of the monthly subscriptions I've discussed in my blog, shoot me a message with your email address. If you requested one in the past and haven't received your invitation yet, shoot me a message and I'll send you another invitation. Sometimes it takes more than one invitation to get you through the system. Stay fabulous.

XOXO, Jenni D






5 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous that you got the twist headband! I just posted a review of my February Birchbox on my blog. I received some amazing beauty products this month.

    - KW
    http://musthaveboxes.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Kristin! Thanks for the comment. I just checked out your page and it's great! I wish I'd gotten the hair protector/detangler! Do you get Ispy Glam Bags? I've been overall pleased with them, other than my February bag. I've never heard of Beauty Army. I'm going to check it out. I subscribed to your blog and can't wait to read more reviews!

      XOXO Jenni D

      Delete
  2. I have heard great things about the dermablend. Had a friend get an eyebrow lift and she used it to cover all the bruising and it covered it almost completely! i would love to try for myself! thanks for the links for those. Also, how does one get signed up to get birch boxes??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can refer you through email! Sometimes it is easier to get referred because there is a waiting list. I'll refer you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Send me a text with your email address. I'll need it for the BB referral.

    ReplyDelete